Thursday 24 April 2014

Drawing Project Cardboard Development



Black and White Emulsion, duct tape, charcoal on corrugated cardboard
 Top 70x30cm Bottom 40x60cm

I found that paper was not suitable for the media I was using, and the was I applied it, so I opted to use Cardboard, a much more rugged material to work on top of. The textured corrugated cardboard also made for some interesting marks. I decided to continue studying Pylons and just build upon that idea, rather than diversify the subject matter because I know that Pylons lend themselves well to larger scales. Working with masking tape for my previous pieces proved effective so I experimented with Duct tape. The Duct tape provided a much deeper black than the black emulsion paint, and seems an appropriate material to use to represent the strong steel that forms the structure of the Pylons. I sought out other artists who have applied paint in this fashion, in doing so I came across Franz Kline, whose enormous black and white paintings have very direct and confident marks. 'Mahoning' from 1956 is a good example of this.



Franz Kline
'Mahoning' 1956
 Oil and paper collage on canvas, (203.2 × 254 cm).





No comments:

Post a Comment